The Sri Lankan Blue Whale Project seeks interns for the upcoming field season commencing February 1st 2015 and running through to the end of February. This represents the oldest research project on blue whales in the Northern Indian Ocean. Its efforts to bring attention to the unusual Sri Lankan blue whales and the threats they face have been showcased internationally by Channel 7 Australia (2010), the BBC (2010), the New York Times (2012), CNN (2012), WIRED UK (2014), the New Scientist (2014) and TED talks (2015). For more information on the project please visit http://ashadevos.com.
This Internship Program is designed to provide students interested in a career in marine science valuable research experience in a real-world setting. Interns will participate in blue whale research in Sri Lanka. As an intern, you will be trained in all aspects of blue whale photo-identification and survey methodology. Furthermore, interns will be trained in science communication methods and the use of social media for the benefit of science.
• Commit to the 4-week internship period.
• Have a strong sense of responsibility, work ethic, willingness to learn, attention to detail, and ability to admit mistakes.
• Be physically capable to participate in all aspects of the work.
• Exhibit strong interpersonal skills.
• Have good English communication skills.
• Principal Duties include: data entry, learning all research protocols, sorting photo-id images, boat based field research
• Field days: Interns must be able to spend many hours on the water in small boats in temperatures averaging 28ºC. Field days are typically 8-9 hours long, take place on all good weather days and require early starts.
• Bonus abilities include the ability to make short films in the field.
• Applicants must have a genuine interest in marine research. It is preferred but not necessary if applicants are actively pursuing a college degree or are a recent graduate in oceanography, marine science/biology, biology, or related field. Previous research experience in any capacity is a plus. Applicants must be able and willing to fulfill all duties outlined for this Internship Program. This is an unpaid position and Interns are requested to contribute towards their housing, transportation and meal costs (please contact email@example.com for rates).
If you are interested in this position please send your CV, a 300 word paragraph outlining why you are interested in this opportunity and two letters of reference to
firstname.lastname@example.org by the 25th of January 2015.